Thursday, September 18, 2008

Flying, flying and flying

24 hours later I landed in Singapore and with some marvelous Singaporean efficiency my friend Deming, who I'm staying with, arrived just about 5 minutes before I go out through the customs checkpoint.

The journey began in Bjärred at 5.40am CET when I had already been up pretty much all night, only excepting about 40 minutes when MaoSai had me realize I couldn't leave without staying in the bed with him for at least a while. Mom drove me to Copenhagen airport well on time - being well on time is pretty unusual to me and this is a going theme for this whole journey with early boardings and all flights arriving earlier than expected - and by 7.20 I had found my gate, at the furthest depth of Kastrup airport and after getting ripped at a money exchange booth (only getting about 186SGD for 1000SEK, which is an exchange rate of 5.4 instead of the going 4.7), and was boarded a short while later.

I have no recollection at all of that flight except that I saw some sandwiches served in the corner of my eye and that the flight was rather empty. At Heathrow I started out with terminal changing then I found a Cathay pacific information booth and managed to get my seat changed to lots of leg space seats on both my next flights (since I actually flew with BA to London they couldn't fix my seats in Copenhagen). About an hour or so left to spend before they even announced the gate for my next flight I tried TGI Fridays (the only place that didn't only have weird breakfast on the menu) and had a quite crappy burger.

Once again I was early to board, and I found that I had gotten a really nice seat with about 2 meters for my legs, that is until I discovered that people queuing for bathroom tended to step on my feet all the time. Finally I was ready to go to sleep, after being up for almost 24 hours, only excepting the 40 minutes before I left home and the hour or so on the flight to London, I was ready to pass out so I got my blanket, pillow and eyeshades and prepared to stick in my new super anti-pressure problem earplugs (for nearly 100kr at the drugstore in Sweden) when suddenly I realized I had pushed the left one a little bit too far into my ear.

to be continued

No comments: