Thursday, February 14, 2008

Back in Chengdu

Leaving Hong Kong was a lot simpler than getting there, mostly because I actually knew what was going on, because this time Joyce knew what was going to happen and had told me, and also because it was day time so I could easily take busses and KCR. It took about 45 minutes to get from Tin Shue Wai to the border, with just once change between bus and train and a price tag that ended at 28HKD, going through migration always takes time, actually I've been wondering why they call Hong Kong a part of China; they don't have the same laws, currency or even language and the border control is tighter than anything you would encounter anywhere in Europe.

It was pretty easy to get to the hostel in Shenzhen too; the direction where pretty good and even though I totally failed with the taxi it was easy enough to get around with the metro. The hostel was ok; it was pretty clean but the room was tiny and the building old so it was freezing cold at night and I could hardly sleep.

I had been considering travel some more, but I had pretty much ran out of money and was getting a bit "home" sick, mostly because of the hostel I think, so I booked a flight ticket back home for the next day. I actually could have skipped the whole hostel thing and just gotten a ticket back the same day but it was more expensive and it would have been weird since I just had checked in, and it gave me a chance to meet Erin, a friend from Chengdu, who was in Shenzhen too.

Getting to the airport was even easier as getting to Shenzhen, one metro stop from my hostels place to the airport bus and then 35 minutes and 20kuai for the bus and viola. I had an e-ticket so I machined it out and skipped the whole check in and then I had to wait for 2 hours before the boarding, basically because I just didn't want to carry around my bags and stuff in Shenzhen, they were kind of heavy.

Late as it was when I got back, 10.20ish, there was no bus so I had to take a taxi, but the driver didn't argue about the price and just did the meter as he should so I got home for about 50kuai, was dead tired but did some cleaning and didn't sleep until around 2am. In the morning I walked to McDonald's and walked around after that to find a new hat, I lost mine the last night in Hong Kong when I took a taxi home from TST. When I got back, with a big new stock of groceries I tried to play with my helicopter and ended up breaking a rotor after about 20 minutes, and of course I don't have any tools so I need to buy that too soon.

No comments: