Sunday, October 7, 2007

"Thai-food"

I have never had Thai-food in Thailand so i won't claim to know what Thai-food should really be like, but I've had Thai-food in Sweden and other countries and it has been made by real Thai people, and I have gone to a Thai restaurant with a Thai girl and eaten what she said was Thai-food, so this should at least give me the right to complain.

So we came to this high class central restaurant that I think is the only Thai-restaurant in Chengdu, it is actually a really nice place, they had some staff walking around and having people wish for songs that they would sing, and they were really good at singing too. The first thing that surprised me was how hard it was to find the standard Thai-curry soups or dishes that they usually have on the first page for main course dishes, I did finally find two dishes that seemed to fit the description and that had nice pictures in the menu, a green-curry-soup-thing with chicken and a dry-curry dish with beef that we ordered. Second surprise was when we got the dish, the green-curry-soup-thing was green for sure, but no curry, and the green was... well... rather synthetic looking, as if they had put in some coloring to make it green, and it tasted neither of curry nor the normal coconut-soup that they always use, the other dish just tasted soya. So we asked them to add a bit more curry, mentioned that we like the curry to be spicy and they went off with our dishes to do what we had asked, about five minutes later they came back with them with only one new addition: chili pepper. I doubt they have any idea of what curry is at all.

By the way, I hate Emilia's Big big world.

No comments: