Monday, September 10, 2007

A long weekend and the leavers

I decided already in the afternoon that I wanted to check out how a bar was like on a Thursday but I had a little detour; an online friend that I met for dinner at an American Tex-Mex restaurant that had a really nice setting but I was a bit disappointed at the burger I got, it's my fault though for forgetting to have it with cheese. She tagged along to Paname too, the French bar again, after the dinner but she wasn't that funny to have around in the bar though, she was too tired and a really low energy level, she still stayed until after midnight anyway. I learnt a Chinese strategy game, much like Chess actually, from a French-Asian professor, doing research in mathematics at Sichuan univ, it's a quite cool game and I'd like to learn it better, and that guy is quite good at it.

More people where coming in quite late and between 2am and 4am it was really quite crowded. I talked to some newly arrived Danish guys, of where at least one held the same affection for Southpark as I do, and played pool with random people. I think I ended up going home at around 4.30 in the morning.

Friday was a long day of sleeping, slightly hangover from the night before I didn't even go outside for eating until after 7pm, and after a quick dinner at KFC and a walk to a shopping mall about 10 minutes off where I bought a new belt, I forgot to bring one actually and my jeans are nearly (not nearly - really) falling off now. I started my night at a bar called The Bookworm, a British place, quite big and with bookshelves everywhere, so it's nearly a library really, the setting is really nice but this night they celebrated their one year anniversary, so it was a bit crowded and had live bands playing all the time, not really in sync with the atmosphere of the place, and for an entrance fee of 100 yuan there was on open bar and a food buffet, which I hardly touched since I had just eaten. The live bands where quite good, even though the loud music prevented most conversation, I spent most of the time there chatting with an elderly chap, yes chap and very British, and two Chinese girls, also a bit older but I still guess around half his age, that where his students.

Lily started calling me to join her for Aaron's, her ex, birthday gathering at a bar not far from there, it took like 5 minutes to walk there but I still took a taxi. There I met for the first time a few of Lily's friends; it was Aaron (Lily's ex), Jane (I think Aaron's teacher and apparently not Lily's friend at all), another girl that I never really figured out who she was friends with (I guess everybody) and some more. Then there was another group of people that were Lily's friends but not in the birthday group, among which Sam, the guy who got me my job here and that I will be working with from time to time and who turns out to be Lily's new boyfriend, which she had just forgotten to mention to just about anyone before. Aaron left quite soon, for obvious reasons, with both Jane and the other girl and after chatting with some random people that hardly spoke any, if even that, English I decided to walk back to the open bar at The Bookworm.

The open bar wasn't free anymore though, they had only had that deal until midnight, and most people were leaving anyway so I only stayed for a beer than called Aaron to join him at some club called seven club. I was actually surprised to find Jane there, yes I said she went with Aaron but she had told me she was going home, and when I saw her at seven club she was actually going home. Me and Aaron stayed though, for quite a while, I think I didn't get home until around seven or eight in the morning, during that time we had managed to get a lot of free drinks and made some new friends, that at least I could hardly talk to. I met the Italian group again too, and made plans to meet up the day after, since we all had plan to go to the same place.

Saturday was again a day of staying in bed most of the day, I had my breakfast at home so I didn't leave until after 9pm, had my dinner at the Japanese noodles restaurant close to here and finally arrived at the Hemp House at around eleven. I found Lily and her friends there and hung out with them for a while, and then Aaron showed up too so I hung out with him and his coworker, an American girl named Kathy, quite funny girl really. I met the Italian crowd again of course, and Gosha, my own coworker, and many other people I had met before and some that I hadn't met before. When the crowds started to thin up and I was close to leaving I started talking to a girl that I ended up playing pool with until around 6am when I finally got home, she had an unhappy and too drunk friend to take care of too.

Sunday was once again a day of staying in, but only half day this time, and after three all nighters of drinking I was pretty exhausted and hangover. I had my breakfast at McDonald's at around 5pm this time, and after a quick stop at the Carrefour supermarket I went to meet up with Nicky again, the same girl I had had dinner with on Thursday. We went to see a movie but the movie she had wanted to see, Transformers, didn't show anymore, we ended up watching Secret instead, a Taiwanese movie about a music student meeting a strange girl under strange circumstances, a love story with a twist really, and it was really quite nice, and sad. Too tired to do anything else we parted after the movie and I went home. The area where we met is the shopping area of Chengdu so I know now where to go when I get my money.

Long weekend and now a long week will start, or actually short since I'm off today. But I have 6 classes tomorrow and I will finally get my schedule for the whole week and hopefully next week too.

No comments: