Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stupid SEK

Almost exactly one month ago I arrived in Hong Kong, I was walking around happily with a stung currency (for the sake of calculation at least) backing me up. Counting safely I always thought 1 to 1 on exchange rate and every time I checked my bank account I happily found that I had spend about 20% less than I had counted, because the exchange rate was about 0.85HKD to 1SEK. This also worked pretty well for the CNY that was just slightly stronger than the HKD; about 0.95CNY to 1SEK.

World economy has broken down and for some reason that I has a mere journeyman cannot understand the SEK has lost an extreme amount of value against the USD, and since both the HKD and CNY are tied to the USD we have lost value to them as well, and not a little, checking today I found that the HKD has actually passed the SEK, about 1.05HKD to 1SEK, and the CNY: 1.20CNY to 1 SEK. It looks like all of Europe is on the downfall, at least it seems the EUR is about the same is a few month, and the last few years, ago; about 10SEK to 1EUR.

This hurts as I'm still living on Swedish money here and will do so for the next two months at least, on the other hand when I do start working I will actually earn 20% more instead of 20% less than what it says, and this is a very good thing.

Just to clarify (mostly to myself) when I say for example 0.85HKD to 1SEK I mean 1HKD costs 0.85SEK. I'm not sure which is the correct way to write it but in context anyone would understand anyway.

No comments: