Thursday, August 30, 2007

My apartment in Chengdu

They said it would be a quite small place but I want to disagree, the whole apartment is about as big as our living room back in Sparta, maybe a little bit bigger but with some attached furniture; a large cupboard enclosing a small alcove for a bed area and a small desk for work space. I got a lot of furniture included in the rent, luckily because I have nearly spent all my savings on the stuff I didn't get, I got a bed mattress, a TV, a small sofa and a TV table and a washing machine and a refrigerator. It's located on the 20th floor, with a great view, of a totally new building, not even finished yet and I think less than 1/20 of the apartments are read so there are not many people around and this apartment has never been used before, which meant that I had to clean up a lot of construction dust. The construction is a lot less than perfect, but it's nice enough and I guess I'll just have to live with some minor faults that wouldn't really be acceptable in Sweden.

They also said it would be close to central and close to the school, but I didn't really know what to expect, some people's idea of close is sometimes very relative; but it is really close, I think I can walk to the central square of Chengdu in less than 10 minutes, my view is actually over then main central street of Chengdu and I have a large shopping street just 2 minutes walk away from home. Going to the office is a bit further though, maybe 30 minuets walk but my Ivy, my contact and employer, suggest that I should buy a bike, the office is not really the issue actually, I will work in several different kindergartens and to get to most of them I will probably need a bike.

I have bought a lot of minor attires, first what I needed to sleep and clean and today I was at IKEA and bought quite a lot of kitchen stuff, not yet my portable cooking platform though but that will come soon enough. I'm planning to buy a cupboard to put on top of the fridge too so I can keep my plates and bowls and other kitchen stuff somewhere, and then I'll use the glass shelves next to the sofa for liquor and wine. I'm sometimes feeling that I'm overdoing it, but if I'm to stay here for 5 months or even a year I will want it nice and comfortable.





















1 comment:

yan wei said...

haha i sense some secret sucking in of the potbelly in that self portrait..